Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Potato Soup Recipe

Good morning! Today I thought I would pretend I am a food blogger. ;) No, seriously I posted a photo on Instagram this weekend of the homemade potato soup I made and I had several requests for the recipe so I thought what better avenue than to share than my blog. (Feel free to pin if you want!) I make a lot of soup around here because I can make adjustments as needed for food allergies, etc. so maybe I will share a few more recipes over the next few months.


Potato Soup
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1-1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 3 carrots, shredded
  • 2 c. celery, chopped
  • 8 c. chopped potatoes (I leave the skins on but do whatever you like)
  • 2 (10 oz) cans chicken broth
  • 2 soup cans of water
  • 2 (13 oz) cans evaporated milk
  • 1 lb. bacon
  • 2 T. cornstarch (you can use flour but we can't due to food allergies - if you do, use 4 T. flour)
Directions - Melt butter; saute onion and celery until onions get transparent. Add potatoes, carrots, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes, or until tender. Add milk and bacon (reserve some milk to combine with flour/cornstarch). Simmer 15-20 minutes more. Add reserved milk/cornstarch/flour mix to soup, stirring constantly until soup is creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.

A couple of recommendations - I recently began using low-sodium organic chicken broth from Trader Joe's. It is very inexpensive and chicken broth typically has a lot of sodium - I would much rather add my own salt for taste. Also, I am really loving the All Natural Uncured Bacon from Trader Joe's. There are no nitrates or nitrites added and the pork is raised without antibiotics. It's a great tasting bacon and it cooks clean (there doesn't appear to be a lot of junk and mystery stuff in the grease). I always bake my bacon in a Pampered Chef stoneware. 

Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs